Saturday, February 27, 2021

Smells of the non-Season

My twenty-three pound turkey in my twenty-four pound turkey-sized oven.
 
The last few times Sam and I have gone grocery shopping, we've toyed with the radical off-season idea of buying a still-in-stock, still-cheap, frozen turkey. But like so many ideas we’ve toyed with before, we (meaning me) never actually went through with it. 

Part of the reason for this (speaking specifically frozen-turkey-wise) is because our refrigerator is too crammed full of once food-like items of an unknown variety and an unknown age, to even think about cramming in a frozen turkey. Buying a frozen turkey might mean that I would be forced to clean out the refrigerator - or at the very least, clean out a turkey-sized spot in the refrigerator.

But last weekend we went for it. Before we left of our latest death-defying trip to the grocery store, I cleared out a turkey-sized spot in the refrigerator and we went and bought our usual, family-size twenty-three pound frozen turkey (even though our home is currently at below family-size) - and today, I’m cooking it.

As the smell of roasting turkey fills the air, a couple of things occur to me.

First of all, I think this is the only time I’ve ever cooked a turkey when it wasn’t either Thanksgiving or Christmas. I love the smell of roasting turkey but this feels a little odd and a little out of place.

Also, not being Thanksgiving or Christmas, this means I don’t think I've ever cooked a turkey when the entire family wasn’t around. Oh sure, there might have been a Thanksgiving or two when someone either couldn’t make it or at best, had to eat and run, but those don’t count.

It makes me feel very nostalgic. And when I feel nostalgic, this often means contemplating fond memories - before rapidly cascading into borderline depression.

And since I'm halfway there anyway, I decided to go all in and light a balsam-scented candle. I figure, if I’m going to be depressed, I might as well go for the full effect.

2 comments:

Ben Clibrig said...

Anyone who is not depressed is just not paying attention. So welcome to the club.
I won't attempt to enumerate the perfectly valid reasons for feeling like it's, quite simply, too much, because validating depression is not helpful.
And anyway, we are limited by Nazis who make the rules on blogger.com to a couple of million characters. And that's not enough.
Besides, any turkey who comes within shooting distance of Lovely Lizzie's garden has already been buck-shotted several times and I know, as a formerly extremely knowledgeable physician, that lead is not an ideal condiment for any meal.

rachael said...

DAD this post is AMAAAAZZZZZINGGGGGGGGGGGGGG