Monday, December 26, 2022

This Year's Response

Below is this year's response to Sam's letter from Santa. Before we get to that though, we have the usual disclaimer:

First of all, in terms of appearance, Santa's writing has always been (over-the-) borderline legible. Add to it the fact that: 1) It's late and Santa has had a long night (and a long, busy week), and, 2) Santa is not exactly a spring chicken (and he's getting less springy with each passing year).

And secondly, in terms of subject matter, Santa is given no advance notice on what Sam has written. So, at best, Santa has had little to no time to think about a response.

And also, did I mention it's late and Santa has had a long day (and week)?

Anyway, here's the letter - and for those of you that are hieroglyphicly challenged, there's a handy transcription below. Merry Christmas.




12/25/2022
Dear Sam,

I am so glad to hear that you went on such a nice vacation and had such a good time. It is so much fun to re-live cherished memories. And even more important, you get to spend time with people you love, and those who love you.

And, since you asked, that is what I love best about my vacations - it is not where I go that matters. It is that I spend my time with those that I love. When you are with people you love and who love you in return, everyday is a vacation (well, almost!).

I am sorry your Grandma is no longer here. As you say, "it's an adjustment". I know it doesn't feel the same but remember, you carry your Grandma, and all those you love, inside you everyday.

I'm glad you're keeping busy and I'm glad you're making new friends. And good for you for working hard and for rolling with the hard times as best you can. Sometimes our road is bumpy but we can't let it stop us from moving forward.

I'm proud of you and all you do. Merry Christmas and thanks, as always, for the snacks!

Love, Santa