Thursday, September 7, 2023

The Fair Parade from a Different Perspective

For the first time ever, Helaina drove in the Fair Parade - and she took me along for the ride. We were near the end of the lineup, directly behind the local home heating oil trucks (you have to see the parade to get it).

Despite being a long evening, it was interesting to see the crowds from this perspective. I think the weirdest part about the entire experience was having people wave at us as we drove by. Why in the world would somebody wave at some nobody (me) riding by in a large town dump-truck that happens to be in the parade? What are these people thinking?

I did, however, enjoy spending the time with Helaina (as usual) and it was touching to hear the occasional "there's a GIRL driving that truck!" or to look out and see more than one older woman clasp her hands together and watch and smile as we drove by. That was really lovely.

Otherwise, I spent most of my time trying not to make eye contact with anyone (also like usual). I don't need strangers waving at me.








No comments: