Friday, June 3, 2022

Perennial

This is a photo taken a week or so ago of a couple of the blooms on the kerria bush in the front yard. 

I love this bush for a number of reasons. 

First, I like it because it's pretty. The blooms add color to an otherwise semi-dark corner of the yard.

Secondly, it requires pretty much zero gardening skills - which makes it ideal for someone like me.

Third, it blooms twice throughout the year. It first blooms in the late spring, greeting the earliest days of warmer weather. And it blooms again in the waning days of summer, signaling the near-end of those seasonal days.

But what I like best about it is, I bought this long ago - when my three oldest kids were small - back in the days when we would spend much of our Saturdays and Sundays doing errands and going on "adventures" together.

Other people, if they notice it at all, see a pretty flowering shrub. When I look at it, I see memories of weekends - where simple things like running errands or finding, buying and planting a shrub together was an adventure. 

Then again, I tend to see those things whether the kerria is blooming or not.

No comments: